Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Dissecting a Board Game (Part 1)

Have you visited your board game closet lately in search of a dated game with missing pieces?
No... you haven't... because no one wants to play a dated board game with missing pieces.

I have the solution for this epidemic.
I recommend you segregate your unwanted board game into three basic groups... the board, the pieces and the cards, and I will show you an excellent re-purpose project for all of the items in each category. In fact, I feel so strongly about this project that I seek out old board games at local thrift stores for the sole purpose of destroying them.

Let's start with the board. As a journalism major, it is not a strange notion that I would be addicted to notepads, pens, journals, etc... and I assure you, I am. 



Thus the thought of creating board game journals was extremely appealing to me. With my instructions, from each board game you will be able to make four journals.

First you cut the board into four equal sections with a utility knife.
Cut each of the four sections in half and you will have the front and back cover for four journals.

Next, tape the front and back covers together using a piece of colored duct tape -- be sure to leave a 1/2" gap between the covers... so that when we sew our pages in, we will able to sew them through one layer of duct tape vs. sewing them through the heavy board.

For the inside pages, utilize regular copy paper -- fold it in half and then use a paper cutter to trim it to the appropriate size for the book you are making. Open the folded paper and lay it inside the cover where it will go. Use a hammer and an awl to create holes a half inch apart to create the holes that will make the seam of your book.

The use a good old fashioned needle and thread to stitch your book together.
Once the paper has been sewn in, you should be able to fold your book with ease because of the gap you left... and there you have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Candy Christmas

Oh wow. Oh wow, oh wow. I'm dreaming of a Candy Christmas... apparently. It all started with an event my buddy and I co-hos...