Thursday, September 6, 2018

Weathered Word Sign

This is a project that I cannot wait to do again! I had leftover lumber from when my husband made a cool sandbox for the kids... Here's a photo of the sandbox. (Yes, he is a stud.)

The wood had weathered a little after being outside so I was able to stain it easily.

I've seen so many neat "Farmhouse" and "Market" signs. I wanted to put my own spin on it... I'm a journalism major and have an infatuation with old typewriters. Thus, I used a common newspaper name "Tribune" for my first go.

I printed the letters (feel free to experiment with size) onto several sheets of paper. I utilized a thin outline with my font to save ink. Then I did the good ol' fashioned scribble with pencil on the back sides of the paper to create the frugal version of carbon copy.

I taped the pages in place and outlined the letters to transfer them to the wood. I retraced them with the pencil on the wood itself so that I could see them better. Then - and this was my favorite part - I filled the letters in with a small brush and some off white chalk paint. If you are into adult coloring books, you will enjoy this step -- it is very meticulous.



I let the letters dry and then roughed them up with sandpaper.
Lastly, I painted over the letters with Valspar chalky paint step 3 antiquing wax.
I rubbed it off with a rag to ensure that it wasn't too thick.
I LOVE how this sign turned out.


What word would you use?

3 comments:

Candy Christmas

Oh wow. Oh wow, oh wow. I'm dreaming of a Candy Christmas... apparently. It all started with an event my buddy and I co-hos...